We have all experienced going out to our car just to find that dreaded slow engine cranking followed by the rapid clicking as the vehicles starter gives up from the lack of power. What do you do now? Waiting on a tow truck to take your car to a shop? If you’re lucky you may have a set of jumper cables in your car.
Jumper cables are inconvenient for two major reasons. First you need another car to jump start from. You are now you are calling a friend, co-worker or a relative and waiting for them to arrive. Second is depending on how and where you are parked getting another car within jumper cables reach can be impossible.
I never understood why more people don’t carry portable jump starters in their cars. With the evolving battery technologies these jump starters are smaller than ever. Many car jump starters are multi-function and allow you to charge your phone; some have built in flash lights and tire inflators. I have a portable car jump starter in the trunk of my car (PowerALL PBJS) and have helped stranded drivers. They see it in action and are amazed how a tiny box about 6 inches in length jump starts their car with ease. A portable jump starter is a fairly small investment for the amount of headaches it can prevent.
There is a large variety of different jump starters available for purchase. I have used about 25 different types and styles. Here are my best jump starter reviews.
Best Portable Car Jump Starter:
NOCO Genius Boost Plus
The NOCO Genius Boost Plus is an ultra-portable, compact, and lightweight lithium-ion jump starter for 12 volt batteries. It allows the user to safely jump start a dead battery in just a few seconds. In fact, it can do this up to 20 times on an individual charge.
It is produced in such a way that it’s mistake-proof, making it safe for anyone to use. The NOCO Genius Boost Plus also comes equipped with spark-proof features together with reverse polarity protection.
This advanced jump starter is integrated with a high-output 100 lumen flashlight containing 7 light modes. It is capable of holding a charge life for up to one year. It also comes equipped with a solid USB battery pack for all your recharging needs, which includes any of your personal devices such as smartphones. In fact, it can actually recharge 4 such devices at the same time.
The NOCO Genius Boost Plus battery is rated as 1,000 Amps, in other terms 7, 035joules. It is also suited for use on different kinds of boats, cars, lawn mowers and so much more. Other additional features include a microfiber storage bag, HD battery clamps, USB car charger, USB charging cable, and a 1-year stress-free limited warranty.
The following is a detailed breakdown of the features, uses and any other relevant information about the NOCO Genius Boost Plus;
• The NOCO Genius Boost Plus is lightweight, lithium and compact, making it ideal for the user, both in terms of usage and portability.
• It comes equipped with a built-in 100 lumen flashlight which allows the user to make jump starts at night in a much easier setting. This feature is particularly ideal for those with hoods that lack a built-in flashlight.
• It comes with very user-friendly cables that are quite flexible and have a heavy duty 8 gauge.
• The NOCO Genius Boost Plus can be used as a power bank. This might not seem as a very practical feature at first, but you should consider the fact that you can use it to charge your phone if its dead whenever you find yourself in trouble and need to call for help.
• The NOCO Genius Boost Plus comes with a DC 2.1amp charger adapter. You should keep in mind that you can use this adapter to charge the device or opt for the USB port and charge it from a USB hub or power adapter. However, if you decide for the alternative, make sure you use at least 2amps.
• The device comes with a cloth bag where you can put everything in so that it all stays altogether. It is also a perfect size for your trunk or glove box.
• The NOCO Genius Boost Plus is rated with up to 1000 Amps, which translates to around 15-20 jump starts from a single charge. However, to be on the safe side, you can try to charge it whenever you jump start your battery to be on the safe side.
• With the NOCO Genius Boost Plus, each charge does not take a major toll on its lithium unlike with other jump start devices. It can store a charge for as long as a year. However, it also advised that you do not push the maximum time frame set, since it’s always good to be cautious. You can try to charge the device at least every 3 months. The process is quite easy and does not take so much time.
• The NOCO Genius Boost Plus is 7,035 joules. This is the amount of power that it can pump out in 3 seconds. This level of output is rated for engines with a capacity of up to 6 liters for gasoline and 3 liters for diesel. Whether or not you need a bigger capacity will depend on you. For those with an upper size engine, it is recommended that you get the 2000Amps model to give you the oomph you need.
Best Jump Starter For Diesels / Dual Battery Setups:
If you cannot start your truck or car with this unit, then you have a bigger problem than simply a dead battery. The Jump-N-Carry JNC660 is considered to be one of the most powerful battery jumpers currently available in the market peaking at 1700 amps. This is almost twice as powerful as most of the other jump-start devices out there.
One of the things you should keep in mind about the Jump-N-Carry JNC660 is that it’s not a multi-purpose unit that you will find available in your local big box store. It is not a flashlight, air compressor, or phone charger, it is basically a battery jumper, just as the manufacturers intended. The only addition worth mentioning is its cigarette lighter-style socket, which can be used to power other items when need be.
The Jump-N-Carry JNC660 is a great product; however, it’s always good to take some things into consideration before you purchase it. This is because the model may not be for everyone. The truth is that it’s a professional grade item and it’s not intended to be utilized by those who are unfamiliar with the basic battery jumping procedures.
The following is a detailed breakdown of the features, uses and other relevant information about the Jump-N-Carry JNC660
• The Jump-N-Carry JNC660 is a portable, handle, battery jump starter that is quite adequate and reliable. It has worked and continues to work for thousands of professionals.
• It has a 46 inch cable reach that is ideal for reaching the jump locations of most cars. It also boasts of high power and is quite durable.
• The Jump-N-Carry JNC660 is capable of delivering 1700 peak amps and cranking up to 425 amps of starting power and comes in at just 18lbs. Its low weight makes it ideal for professional environments, including automotive dealerships, marinas and professional automotive repair shops.
• The Jump-N-Carry JNC660 comes equipped with the JNC05 core PRO-FORMER battery, which was specifically designed for car jump starting. Some of the main benefits of this battery are that it has extended cranking duration, extreme starting power, and is quite durable.
• The Jump-N-Carry JNC660 features an automatic recharging system that uses a built-in charger. In order for you to utilize it, simply connect any extension cord. It also comes equipped with charging status LED lights that let know you when it is fully charged. The Jump-N-Carry JNC660 can remain connected to the AC power for an indefinite period without any adverse effects.
• The Jump-N-Carry JNC660 was designed with the user in mind. This is because all of its components are made to support the adequate delivery of extreme starting power, and this also includes the power path components. One of the main features that clearly showcase the Jump-N-Carry JNC660’s reliability is its 46 inch, heavy gauge cables that are capable of transferring the unit’s power to the car as heavy duty clamps penetrate battery corrosion.
Other Car Jump Starters Worth Mentioning:
Stanley j5c09 Jump Starter
The Stanley J5c09 500 amp jump starter is equipped with an air compressor and is more than ideal for jump starting a variety of vehicles. Whether you have a car, truck, minivan, motorcycle or even recreational vehicles such as RV’s and boats, this is an essential item for you. The J5c09 is also able to be effective when used on tractors. Use it on a daily basis, or reserve it strictly for emergency situations without the need for a second vehicle.
The key feature of the Stanley Jump Starter includes the following:
- 1000 peak amps
- Instant starting power is 500 amps
- Features a built in PSI air compressor
- Equipped with #6 AWG cables and heavy duty metal clams
- Contains a high power LED light that is able to rotate 270 degrees
- Charging plugs that are both USB and DC
Considering the features, the J5c09 is an optimal purchase especially given that it is equipped with an air compressor that is great for tires. The capacity of this jump starter is (a maximum of) 1000 peak amps and an instant starting power of 500 amps. This makes the jump starter able to restart a disabled vehicle when needed and with little hassle or inconvenience. Additionally, the heavy duty metal clams are reversed, this is due to the fact that the product has been designed with a reverse polarity alarm for safety purposes.
Should you need to fill the tires of your vehicle/s with air, the built in 120 PSI air compressor is there for your express convenience. This is a feature that would truly benefit consumers that do not live fairly close to gas stations or other facilities where tires can be refilled.
The handle of the Stanley J5c09 Jump Starter is comprised of top-mounted rubber for easy carrying when needed. Another aspect that is included for ease in use is a high powered LED light that has been designed to rotate 270 degrees. The charging of the jump starter is quite simple. All one needs to do is to plug in the charge/power indicator that alerts as to when the battery has a full charge. Also, the visual and audio reverse polarity alarm ensures that the #6 AWG cables and heavy duty clams easily and safely.
- Able to be used on a wide variant of vehicles
- Tires can be filled via the 120 PSI air compressor
- 1000 peak amps
- Instant starting power of 500 amps
- Included are:
o A 12V cigarette lighter charger
o A USB charger for smaller items
It does need to be noted that there have been consumers that did not take kindly to the fact that the unit itself does not have a charge cord. An extension cord is required for the charging of the jump starter.
Overall, the Stanley J5C09 500 Amp Jump Starter with Built in Air Compressor is brimming with positives. Due to the variant of features, most consumers have been more than pleased with this item due it restarting vehicles easily and being able to refill tires. It does also need to be noted that campers and hunters have found additional uses for the item that include the charging of: mobile phones, laptops, tablets and more.
Don’t have a portable car jumper yet and need a car jumped with cables? Don’t know how? Check out this video by ChrisFix on proper vehicle jump starting. Show him some love and go check out rest of his awesome videos on his YouTube channel!